On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 15:04, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> I am not taking my laptop off the network,

..and..

> its just going to sleep and losing the lease everytime.

These two statements are contradictory, because a sleeping computer is
not on the network.

> When it wakes up it takes about 30
> seconds before I get the lease renewed.

Sounds pretty reasonable.

> Its also not another machine
> taking the IP because a) I am using it at work and this would mean that
> someone is getting a new lease everytime my laptop goes to sleep, and b)
> The leases have a lifetime of 3 weeks...

Well that all depends...

DHCP is dynamic. The server could release the lease if your Macintosh
announces to the server that it doesn't need the lease anymore - which
is what a good network citizen AFAIK should do...

Just because the database doesn't change, or no-one else takes up the
free address - even if the IP address is hard-wired to the MAC address,
doesn't mean that the lease has been released...

Now, if you can convince your admin to give you a permanently leased
address, then you could change your address to fixed, but that would
defeat the purpose of using DHCP.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra,
WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..