Hi Neil

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 07:43  PM, Neil Houghton wrote:

I've just bought virtual PC v6.1 with windows XPpro (as part of the Office X pro package) & I have a couple of questions for any Virtual PC v6.1 users
out there:

1) Virtual PC comes on two CDs. I successfully installed on my 800MHz G4 15" iMac (running OSX 10.2.8). All this from the first disc - I was never asked for the second disc. The second disc is labelled "Additional system files" and by inspection contains 483.4MB of Windows files (5474 items).
There are no read me or text files.

Does anyone know what these files are, what they are used for, in what
circumstances I would need them??

It will probaly be full of compressed archives for extra sytem S/W, webserver, database connectivity, networking etc

2) When I'm on the road, I'll need to install on my 400MHz G4 Ti Powerbook and I was thinking of installing OSX on the powerbook. The documentation say that VPC 6.1 will run on OSX or OS9 but that it needs a 500 MHz or faster
processor in OSX - which rules out the powerbook.

Presumably I can run VPC if I boot up in OS9 - would that mean that I should
be booted in OS9 when I install it.

Ive run it (slowly but surely) on a 350B&W G3 under OSX, it went much better under 9 of course. I dont think it matters which OS the install is done under, but dont quote me;)

Does VPC install different versions of the software for OSX/OS9. If not and
I mistakenly try to start VPC when in OSX what might happen:
-   it refuses to launch
-   it tries & hangs
-   it launches but is not usable
-   it brings the mac to its knees

the first three would not be a problem but the last would be a worry - is
there any potential to crash/corrupt OSX.

It is the only app that has completely frozen this mac under OSX, however no real harm done. Almost funny really.

The powerbook only has a 10GB drive so I don't want to partition -
presumably it would be OK to have OS9, OSX & VPC on the same partition
provided I restarted in OS9 before launching VPC.

You can tell it to limit itself to a certain size or even set it yourself to a fixed size, its very slick, more so than a real PC most times. If you are putting it to use, XP will soon begin to fill even a 3gig HDD on a PC so beware.....

TIA

Neil

Youre welcome

Paul