I STRONGLY recommend that my staff get upgrades to AT LEAST 512MB RAM wen they get new Windows or Mac computers but I have had no problem running OSX in 256MB, I'd guess that pushing these computers beyond word/mail/web at the same time could make things a bit ugly but even running word/excel/powerpoint/iMove/iDVD/iTunes all at the same time with the 1 gig in my laptop and the 2 gig on my desk top it barely touches the sides (less than 50%/25% memory used respectively) until I arc up Photoshop (which I have set to use 80% of available memory).

given the fluid nature of RAM pricing my guess is that Apple supply them with bare bones memory to hedge against swings one way or the other in memory prices were ultimately Apple or the consumer would lose which ever way the price went.

Am I missing something or are Apple shipping almost unusable
configurations?

Does the increased processor power in current Macs make THAT much
difference to make up for the shockingly low amount of RAM?

I didn't think OS/X was usable with less than 512MB.

Andy Dent BSc  MACS  AACM   http://www.oofile.com.au/
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows
PP2MFC - PowerPlant->MFC portability

WAMUG is powered by Stalker CommuniGatePro

--
~
Mark Secker [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"present day