Running two computers here with 10.1.5
G4 500 (AGP) with 256 MB - minimal Classic use
G4 550 TiBook with 256 MB - starts up with & runs Classic

Both are usable systems with occasional spinning balls that are typically not an issue.

I'd like a G5 (only because it's new) if anyone is looking to by a G4 500 (AGP):)
Was the top line unit at the time of release, complete with RAM drive.

Regards

Paul

Andy Dent wrote:

Am I missing something or are Apple shipping almost unusable
configurations?

Does the increased processor power in current Macs make THAT much
difference to make up for the shockingly low amount of RAM?

I didn't think OS/X was usable with less than 512MB.

Andy Dent BSc  MACS  AACM   http://www.oofile.com.au/
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows
PP2MFC - PowerPlant->MFC portability