Hi all,

Machine specs: iMac 400DV, 640MB previously running 10.3

Today I tried inserting my retail version Panther install disc 1 into the slot loading CD drive on the machine above. Disc refuses to mount. Can hear the CD drive chugging and groaning, but it refuses to mount and causes the "spinning ball of death" for Finder. Holding down the f12 key I can eventually force the disc to be ejected. Whack the disc into the attached firewire burner and it mounts successfully. Try the disc in my Powerbook and it mounts successfully. Try rebooting the iMac but still the install disc refuses to mount from the slot CD. I try a few other CDs and the machine has no problem mounting 10.2, 9.1 or audio discs from this drive.

I had been planning to do a fresh install on this machine again anyway, so I drop in my 10.2 install disc, launch disk utility and erase the system partition. Insert the panther install disc and reboot, but again the CD drive just chugs away and refuses to boot from the Panther cd.

Anybody have a clue as to what the problem is and how to solve it? I had no problem installing Panther on this machine previously using these discs.

Any help much appreciated,

Matt

Matt Huitson
School of Psychology