On 20/12/2003, at 5:55 PM, Vladimir James wrote:

Some may not be aware that other conditions besides ISPs may affect
download efficiency. For example, ancient Telstra cabling in my district restricts my 56k connection to about 30k, often less. Clearly some of us
are more fortunate than others.

I'm waiting for some wag to tell me to move to another district  :-)

I'm wondering if this is entirely due to the Telstra network. A client I visited last week has his son staying with him over the Christmas period. The client's (slot-loading, MacOS 9) iMac has only ever connected at 30k, despite all attempts to convince it to do otherwise. His son needed to connect his barnd-new 15" Powerbook (US original running Panther) to the Internet, so we took the modem cable from the iMac, plugged it into his Powerbook, and got a 56k connection. Same cables, same ISP, same time of day.

--
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services            FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer