-------------- Bob Howells replied ----------------------
>> Some may not be aware that other conditions besides ISPs may affect
>>download efficiency. For example, ancient Telstra cabling

>Ancient,    as in old, has nothing to do with it.

>Distance from the exchange
>Faulty cable
>Incorrect cable distribution design

Bob is undoubtedly correct. I chose the wrong word. I should have said
"Telstra's network in my district is inadequate to meet my needs as a
subscriber." (I was recently rejected for broadband - distance and
design, so said the technicians.)

My finger is still pointed at Telstra, rather than at ISPs and modems.
Gotta have someone to blame for the lousy connection.

Vladimir James