On 14/01/2004, at 12:44 PM, Nicholas Harvey wrote:

Hi,

I went to the Apple centre in Cannington (Abacus store) and found out that it is closing or closed.

The guy was very flippant. Why are you closing I inquired:

He responded:

8% only markup
Big investment up front
Public haggling over price

Natural conclusion - he cannot make a buck.

This is probably old news.

It's a pretty accurate picture of the story. For an AppleCentre to be profitable, they need to to sell everything at full retail price and they need to sell a lot.

Sadly, not many customers want to pay full retail price these days. This means that there may not be many places to buy Apple computers in Perth in the not too distant future.

I also thing David Jones is a passing fad and probably won't last long. Apple has never been able to sell many computers in large department stores. I don't think this is any different.

- Matt

--

     Matt Healey                                                [EMAIL