Hi,

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 10:06:16AM +0800, James Mandy wrote:
> is the internal pb G3 fan software or hardware controlled? (ie turning on
> and off)..
>
> I've installed YDL 3 on my pb and i never hear/feel the fan coming on...
> cpuinfo shows 55-57C most of the time,

You shouldn't normally need the fan in those conditions.

> and upto 65C which thrashing the CPU...

There is a chance that the fan should be used that case. As far as I
know, there may be two temperature sensors -- I don't recall the fan
activity being correlated to the on-die CPU temperature. Mac OS normally
controls the fan and there are possibly two different fan speeds that it
can select. However, the power management unit can also control the fan
(though it is likely that it kicks in higher temperatures than Mac OS).
It might also shut down the computer without warning if the temperature
exceeds some level (this is probably not configurable via software). So,
I suspect that in the absence of Linux doing anything to the fan, the
PMU will kick in of its own accord. I suspect it is technically possible
for Linux to control the fan, but Apple might not have documented the
method.

For some non-technical, common-sense suggestions: