Superdrive vs. DVD-R 4x media

I have a eMac (running 10.3.2) with a Superdrive. This is a factory DVR-104
listing the device revision as A227.

Using Apple DVD-R 4x media, I can only seem to have the option to burn at 1x
which seems a little strange.

There is no firmware update available unlike some early flat panel iMacs and
others with the same drive (see below).

Anyone else have this issue or know what I can do to fix it ?

I know it isn't a critical problem but I could save some time waiting !

Regards

Mark

PS. There is a Tech Note (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86130)
that includes the following info that states that
the eMac should be able to burn 4x media and that my device is "up to date" !

(here is a bit of the note...)

How can I tell if I need this update?

If you have an iMac (17-inch Flat Panel), eMac with SuperDrive, Power Mac G4
(Mirrored Drive Doors) with SuperDrive, or PowerBook G4 (1GHz/867MHz) with
SuperDrive you do not need this update. Your computer's SuperDrive is already
compatible with high-speed media. Computers that do not have a SuperDrive do
not need this update.

Follow these steps to determine if your computer's SuperDrive needs to be
updated:

      1. Choose Apple System Profiler from the Apple menu (Mac OS 9), or open
it from the Utilities folder (Applications/Utilities) in Mac OS X.
      2. Click the Devices and Volumes tab. Locate the CD-RW/DVD-R device
listing.
3. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the device listing to get more
information.

    * If the Vendor Identification field names a manufacturer other than
Pioneer, you don't need this update.
    * If the Vendor Identification field names Pioneer as the manufacturer,
your drive may need the update.
          o For drives with the Product Identification DVR-104, no update is
required if the Device Revision number is A227 or higher.
o For drives with the Product Identification DVR-103, no update is required if
the Device Revision number is 1.90 or higher.