On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 15:23, Chris Burton wrote:
> Hi all
>
> have gone through the process of signing up to bigpond cable 2 days
> ago. A reasonable plan over 2 years with free installation and 2 months
> free over 24.

Just a heads-up: Telstra, like any other internet provider, reserves the
right to change the terms of service during your contract. They can, for
example, raise prices, add port shaping/blocking, or reduce download
allowances. If you don't like the changes, you usually have to pay out
the remainder of the contract at the NEW prices. ISPs normally don't
like to make this clear until /after/ you've signed on, which is why you
should read the ToS very carefully before signing.

Because of this insanity, I strongly suggest that you get a no-contract
plan or a short (3-6 month) contract. It costs more at the start, but
often not much - and you may save a lot in the long run. For example, if
your service provider changes their service in a way that's not
acceptable to you, you can up and leave. You can also easily change
providers if someone else has a better plan for you - not possible on a
long-term contract.

I've been bitten by term contracts with "ISP can change the terms at any
time" clauses. Avoid them like the plague - they're not worth it.

Craig Ringer