Hiya,

Well, it's second week of TAFE and after last week's disastrous introduction to C++, I'm now starting to get the hang of it. I'm not a genius at it yet, and I'm still a tad intrigued by why stdio.h needs to be included,

Because after 40 years everything's still done with text files, and the compiler is too dumb to work out which functions you actually want to use without you explicitly telling it. Now if only Apple hadn't killed off Dylan...

and why there has to be an "f" in "printf" and "scanf", but I've managed to make at least a little progress.

The 'f' is for 'formatted'.

If anyone knows any single women that are attracted to single men with C++ skills then please let me know immediately.

There's a lot of competition for them :)

So now I need to get a C++ compiler that I can use on my PowerBook so that I can practice heaps. Any suggestions?

If they're just using standard C/C++ then you should be fine with Apple's developer tools, or gcc from the commandline.

If they want you to use Borland and do Windoze stuff you are sadly going to have to use a PC, unless the lecturer is flexible enough to allow you to submit Mac code/executables, which I would say is unlikely (as they have to have a Mac to run it on).

Oh, and if anyone out there wants to learn to program and you aren't forced to go the C/C++ route then Python is my recommendation. It's got great documentation and simple syntax and is available on pretty much every platform. And it ships with Panther by default.

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer        Join WA's annual