On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 09:06, Gordon Campbell wrote:
> >At the very least, the customer should be offered the _option_ of
> >whether to pay extra, or have their access speed limited (or even
> >cut off) - with the default being no extra charges.
>
> I'm actually a bit surprised to see this comment, since BigPond actually DO
> offer this option, on both Cable and ADSL.

I'm aware of that. I should have been clearer there, and instead said:

---
At the very least, shaping or cut-offs should be the default mode on all
low end plans, and the customer should be offered the _option_ of
whether to pay extra, or have their access speed limited or disabled.
---

elsewhere, I did say:

---
So - I'll credit BigPond with some effort here, but it's only a band-aid
on the fundamental problem - they don't provide 'flat rate' or shaped
plans on the low end, where uninformed and inexperienced users are
likely to sign up.
---

The problem, you see, is that the "unlimited" plans are presented as the
top end of the price bracket, and described as for "Intensive,
super-fast access". The real problem with uncapped usage is at the low
end, where people are probably new to byte-charged broadband services,
aren't likely to realise what things really add up to, and don't realise
they need to watch their usage meter closely.

Craig Ringer