The locking up, with grinding noises sounds to me like your hard drive may
have decided that its time has come and died on you. You have backups,
right? :P

I've seen the lightening that you're describing and although I've never
heard of anyone being electrocuted by it I doubt that it's safe. It normally
occurs when the 'kettle plug' that goes into the back of the computer
becomes loose and starts to slip out for whatever reason, but it can also
happen if you remove the cable while there's power in it. Normally people
remove the cable so fast that they don't even notice the sparks. Everyone
does it, but any text will tell you that it's very bad practice and that you
should always turn off the power at the wall first. If you do need to do it
on a regular basis you might want to buy a powerboard that has switches on
it so you can plug the board into the wall, but put it somewhere easy to
reach and plug things into.

Hope this info helps

Gordo

--