From: Peter Hinchliffe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 8 March 2004 8:48 AM
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: Networked access to email

How do the rest of you handle email across a network?

I have a client with two Macs running Panther, both accessing an iiNet
email account using Mail app. It is important to the client that both
computers be able to read email, so they are each setup to delete email
from the server after a week. For the most part the system works OK,
except that on occasions there are frequent messages claiming that
their login has failed, and it is necessary to re-enter the password,
which invariably fails several times before succeeding again.

I am fairly sure that the problem arises from the two computers trying
to access the same account at the same time, although it's hard to pin
down a pattern. Do others have this problem on a similar setup? I'm
trying to avoid the option of having to set up their own mail server
(seems like overkill) but the problem is becoming very annoying, and it
seemed to have but much less so in Jaguar. What is the best practice
for this scenario?

--
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services            FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer