On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 12:44, Gordon Campbell wrote:

> Anyone have experience with using laptops on the buses?

I use mine quite a bit, or did until I started riding my bike to work
instead. I've had no disk-related problems, and all has been well. The
laptop did die recently (the local Toshiba repairman is cool), but
that's due to component failure on the motherboard and an unrelated
issue.

I think you'll find that laptop disks are up to it. If you're unsure,
look up the "operating shock" specs for a 2 1/2" disk (say, a 42k RPM or
54k RPM Hitachi) on the 'net, and find out for sure.

Craig Ringer