On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 12:45, Peter Hinchliffe wrote:
It may be a little too early to panic over this. Apparently, it's doubtful if the virus exists as anything more than a "proof of concept" that such a thing is possible.

Uhm, from what I've read so-far, this is not a virus or a trojan horse
at all. It's a concept of social engineering. The idea is that you can
make an attachment look like one thing and be another.

A virus spreads without your intervention - AFAIK this doesn't.

A trojan horse pretends to be one thing while doing another - AFAIK this
isn't.

(PS. I've you've got something to rebuke the above, I'm all ears

And I thought it was nose... :-)

- I
don't profess to know everything about everything, but I'll confess I
know a lot about a great many things to do with computing

I see you're still working on your modesty!

 - hint: I've
been doing this for a few years :-)

(Second hint: My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20)

and my first computer was an IBM 1620(?) in 1973. It was the first computer at UWA, and took up about a lounge room. UWA decommissioned it for a new machine and turned it over to students to play with. I used to sneak into the Physics building to play with it on weekends. Andrew Marriott who teaches in Comp Sci at Curtin was another, with a guy called Mike Palm. All input and output from the computer was thru punched cards, even loading the operating system. I would guess the operating system took up 800 cards -> 800 lines of code. How things have changed...

Anyway, Sev Crisp from Albany, who was teaching me Physics at the time, probably used this machine before I got to it. I used to do fun(?) things like solving integrals numerically using the Newton-Rhapson method. It took 20 minutes for something a $200 calculator would now do in a flash.

Back to my wheelchair...

Rob

PS. I first used email and chat in 1982.

--
Dr Rob Phillips, Senior Lecturer,    [EMAIL PROTECTED]