On 03/05/2004, at 9:34 PM, Richard Kay wrote:

On 03/05/2004, at 6:23 PM, Rosemary Horton wrote:

I'm seriously considering getting a laptop. The main reason is for presentations vi digital projectors at conferences often connecting to the net and for working on websites. What should I consider ibook or powerbook?

It might be worth having a quick look at 'The Road Warrior Compleat Buyer’s And User’s Guide To Low-End Macintosh Laptops 2004 Edition' at this URL:

http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/04/05/04/index.html

In the article the author makes reference to US dollars and observes:

'... With the introduction of the base, 1 GHz G4 iBook now selling new for $1,099, and outperforming all Mac portables save for the Aluminum G4 PowerBooks, you can buy a brand new, very powerful ‘Book, for not that much above our arbitrary $1,000 mark. This is one of the biggest changes since the original Compleat Guides were published in 1999, at which time the cheapest new PowerBook you could buy was the 233 MHz WallStreet LE for $2,195.

In my estimation, the entry lever [sic] 12” iBooks are the greatest deals that Apple has ever offered a portable, and I put my money where my mouth is 16 months ago, buying one of the previous 700 MHz G3 entry-level iBooks at New Years 2003, and I haven’t been sorry. Now in 2004, for jut [sic] over our one $grand threshold, you get a machine that has the same processor and the exact same 12” 1024 x 768 screen as the last-generation G4 12” PowerBook, almost of the same connectivity, and still looks great as well'.

I've just ordered an iBook 12.1"/1.GHZ/768RAM/60GB/Combo Drive/AirportExtreme/Bluetooth model for myself as a replacement for my 2 year old G3 iBook.

For those who are interested, the comparative xBench results for my 14" 700MHz iBook G3 with 640MB RAM and a 12.1" 1GHz iBook G4 with 512MB RAM (both running under Panther) are as follows:

G3 iBook: 46.65
G4 iBook: 109.65
---
Richard Kay