Connect both to a switch or hub (or just on the same network) or use a
crossover cable to connect them directly to each other.  Some Macs (like my
TIPB G4 550) have an auto sensing Ethernet port the will automatically
crossover for a peer to peer connection.

You then need to make sure Appletalk is enabled on the printer.  From the
distant corners of my memory you do this using the communications menu
available through the LCD display.  You should be able to download a manual
from HP to assist you.

Once Appletalk is enabled, go the the Printer Utility or Print Centre in OSX
(Chooser in OS 9 and below) and choose add printer and then choose Appletalk
as the protocol.  The printer should appear in the list.  Select it and then
choose the printer type from the list and away you go.

Cheers

Greg