From: Tom Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: usb printer on 9.1/9.2 network

Hi ho,

I would appreciate any thoughts.

I have two imacs and a G3 on an ethernet.
(snip)
Tried turning on USB printer sharing but thought vaguely that this is
actually how you drive the common printer off the network - does it install
an icon on the desktop and one drag and drops to that from the remote
computers?

Tom Lewis, in beautiful Jervis Bay, NSW, Oz

Tom, I too would like to understand the mysteries of USB Printer Sharing.

I have a blue clamshell ibook (9.2.2) and want to link it to a HP 1200 laser printer, and have my g3 bronze Powerbook (9.2.2) print to it also. Reading MacHelp it says only that USB printer sharing can be done if you are on a TCP/IP network (doesn't say it can't be done on an appletalk network but doesn't say it can either). Is this true? If so, how does one tell one has set up a TCP/IP network? MacHelp is anything but. Can anyone direct me to references on how to share a USB printer on a 9.2 ethernet based network? I couldn't get it to happen though went through all the steps in the Help. No relevant refs turned up in the Apple TIL either. TIA,
David