The discussion involving Neil, VPC, Onno and others is most interesting.
Here's another view on emulation.

I have no need for MS products and don't use them, but I wanted a
strategy game (Darklords Rising) which was only available for Win98. It
looked like costing me close to $300 for VPC 6.1, so I looked into the
cost of a PC with Win98. I found a Pentium 3 with Win98, 256MB RAM, 80GB
HD, 48x CD-ROM for the same money. As I already had a spare monitor and
wasn't concerned about desk space, I bought the PC. The game is worth the
unusual expense.

Of course, I do not have the options available with VPC, but I can keep
my Mac for real work (writing and graphics), ie free of MS and games. The
PC is used only for the one game and general dabbling, which is
appropriate for the configuration IMO.

Vlad James