just buy a string line level that wayu yo have string for those handy things and a spirit leve; for what you want

I've found that when shooting from the LCD view finder of my A80 it's hard to get a quick shot off that's square (true vertical/horizontal) while I know you can fix it in Photoshop* when you re-frame the shot and most of the time that's fine and dandy but it's still a pain and sometimes it's so bad it's takes a sizable chunk out of the shot that you might not want to crop much.

It's at it's worst when the you shoot with the LCD screen out and angled shooting with the camera at waist high or lower or over head like you do with medium format TLR camera. However most medium format TLR camera that I've used in the (distant) past had grids etched on their view finders to compose the shot and a couple had spirit levels built in. The problem doesn't happen when shooting through the optical view finder though because the view finder has cross hair type markings that help with alignment.

I googled and found that it's not just me being wonky - even the professional digital camera reviewers get it with the A80 and other cameras that have flip out screens.

Of course I'm not going to etch a grid on to the A80's LCD screen so a stick-on miniature spirit level seems to be the way to go.

* which runs on my G4 Powerbook mac - Oblig On-Topic content requirement fulfilled ;)

--
~
Mark Secker Computer Support Officer

<http://ecel-mark.ecel.uwa.edu.au/~marksecker/index.htm> (sometimes works)