On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 22:08, Edward Arrowsmith wrote:

> Does this mean you can just take your PowerBook to a cafe and an go
> online at no expense?
> That you can walk in to a hotel and go online without plugging in to
> anything?

There are some paid hotspots, with a variety of schemes including
monthly access fees for a provider's network, time fees paid on the
spot, etc. There are also free hotspots around. You may also run into
more interesting schemes like a cafe which gives you WiFi access for 15
minutes if you buy something.

It's all very inconsistent and varied at the moment. Access control is,
too - there's custom client software (often win32 only), general
web-based login, and open access. No doubt more methods also exist.

I haven't used WiFi hotspots in Perth - I wouldn't even know where they
are. So I can't help you out with details there. I've run into hotspots
here on occasion, but never needed to access any.

--
Craig Ringer