Pardon my ignorance on this one, but looking for a kickstart on the basics.

I have a Powerbook running OS X 10.3.4, iSight, and iChat 2.1. I was under
the impression that you could make free voice calls, but is that only if
there's a computer user at the other end, ie. with microphone and relevant
software? Or is there a way to use iSight and iChat to make a call to a
telephone line, no computer at the other end?

There isn't a way to gateway iChat calls onto the telephone network. And (not surprisingly) with VOIP software you have to pay to make calls to regular telephone numbers, but calls to other VOIP software or VOIP phones are free (excluding any bandwidth charges you're already paying your ISP). The charges to gateway calls onto the regular phone network are less than you'd pay Telstra though, typically.

I've gotten as far as downloading a program called fwd-kphone from
<http://www.freeworlddialup.com>, and another program called SJphone, but
struggling to figure out how these things work (that's if they do what I'm
thinking they do - maybe it's no more than iChat?).

I'm on a 1.5Kbps ADSL connection.

Would be grateful for any tips  at the level of "VoIP for Dummies". Trying
to justify my purchase of iSight! :-)

Also check out <http://www.xten.com/>

Of course, you can't gateway iSight video onto the regular telephone network, you just need to only talk to Mac users :)

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper in the