From:     Thomas James
Sent:     Tuesday, September 7, 2004 3:03 PM
To:     WAMUG Mailing List
Subject:     Re: Interesting side note(?) RE: iPod prefs

This is possible, but if he autosyncs his ipod at home, those files you copied across will be deleted when he syncs with his iTunes, because they
are not in his iTunes music library.

Maybe he doesn't autosync, but if he one day he decides to autosync, those
songs will be lost.

Because he can't copy them back to his computer, he can't burn those songs onto a cd or listen to them on his computer without his ipod plugged in.

I think the best way is still to copy the songs to the ipod hard drive
directly to move songs from computer to computer.  Then you can still
enjoy
the benefits of autosync, which in my opinion is one of the best things
about the ipod.

Thomas.

I ripped a couple of 'problem' cds for a PC friend with a PC formatted
iPod
the other day on my G4 with iTunes.

I thought I'd have to copy the files onto his iPod's Hard Disk, then
have
him copy the files to his computer's HD _then_ import them into his
computer's copy of iTunes. Not the case.

We plugged in his iPod - it appeared within my copy of iTunes,
distinguishing his iPod library from mine. I simple copied the files
from my
library to his iPod (drag & drop - then deleted the files from my
library of
course :) .

I thought this wouldn't have been possible ... it there perhaps a limit
on
the number of times this could be done?

Cheers,
Tobes.