In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 04:44:36PM +0800, Rob Phillips wrote:
> I keep having troubles sending mail through my satellite setup at
> home.  This is related to the Maximum Transport Unit (mtu) settings.
> To fix this, I need to use terminal to enter
> sudo ifconfig en0 mtu 1432
> The trouble is that the mtu value keeps getting changed back to 1500.

Often, MTU is something that is auto-configured. However, firewalls and
routers are sometimes misconfigured with a "block all" mentality, and
this can break the MTU discovery mechanism. There are also other
phenomena that can interfere with automatic MTU adjustment. Perhaps the
best option would be to disable automatic MTU adjustment. One way to do
it is:

% sudo systctl -w net.inet.tcp.path_mtu_discovery=0

If this works, you can add it to a file called /etc/sysctl.conf (create
this file if it is missing). This means your setting will be remembered
when you reboot.