On 27/09/2004, at 12:37 PM, Greg Manzie wrote:

Something in my Address Book is not as it should be. (See OS and machine details below).

The application does not want to start up and hangs, then needs to be forced to quit.

I have run Yasu, DiskWarrior and Disk Utilities (which I do regularly). There were no problems, but it made no difference.

I have temporarily removed all of the various files and folders from the user library and replaced them with back ups from a week or so ago, but there is still little difference.

Strangely (at least at first) the Address book in Safari still functions normally. Also when my partners login window is active, her address book works normally. (almost identical lists)

By completely removing the Address book folder from the user library, I can get the application to start. But it does not run well. If I then revert to the database backup, it imports it, but hangs again.

Perhaps there is  a strange .plist file somewhere that is corrupt.

OK, I see you have Panther ! Look in your Applications - Utilities - Check Prefernce files
and try it out for a corrupt preference file

GOOD LUCK

Bob

I think it is time for me to stop guessing and ask someone with more experience.

Thank you in anticipation.

Regards

Greg Manzie
Director
Glyde Gallery Conservation
Fine Art Conservators and Museum Consultants

0438 833 144

Macintosh G4 400 MHz (PCI graphics), 1 Gig RAM, OS10.3.5,
10 Gig & 20 Gig internal HD's,120 Gig external HD,
SCSI card, Netgear RP 614 Router,
Alcatel Speed Touch ADSL Modem through built in Ethernet.