Howdy wamuggers
,
I am new to macs from Windoze.
I've now had a new emac installation running for more than a month without any loss of functionality. I have trashed OS9 because there have been no utilites in my armory which have needed it and I want to have the most secure stand-alone configuration possible (without going to silly extremes). Aside from that, I have installed another browser (Camino), RealPlayer10 , iRecordMusic, FinalVinyl, Eudora6.1, GraphicConverter and a couple of messaging clients. Those are the bigger ones. I use Quicksilver and have nearly finished with KeyCue (which btw is a great help for keyboard migrators like me). I am an average ma and pa user. I backup my home folder to an external drive religiously and use the net mainly for newsreading and streaming radio. Before I install a printer, I would like to have everything as 'tuned' as possible.

I already repair the privileges after a new install.

I intend to follow the advice contained on this page:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/11/21/maintenance.html

When you don't do any special installs, etc.

 Once a month:
        1.       Repair the privileges.
        2.      Repair the drive.
        3.      Force the periodic maintenance.

After an application crash, a power failure or a force reboot

 Immediately:
        1.       Repair the drive first.
        2.      Repair the privileges.

 Then, if the computer slows down:
        1.       Force the periodic maintenance.
        2.      Update the prebinding.

Around the installation of a big new application or a system upgrade

 Before, do this:
        1.       Repair the privileges.
        2.      Repair the disk.

 After, do this:

If this is more than a simple OS incremental update, repair the privileges and the file system again with the new, updated Disk Utility.

Any recommendations to vary this are welcome.

I note that it appears that I am unable to access the last year's archives. I apologise in advance if this topic has been dealt with recently and the archives are indeed available.

Nancy M