<snip>
She had a copy of Nortons Internet Security Suite, but I didn't install it for
at the time since she assured me she was quite confident to do that herself.
There was other stuff to do that was more important. OK.

I was called back on Wednesday because her system has stopped sending emails.
Her laptop was working OK, it just this new Compaq machine. Receiving was
working, just not sending. Outlook was reporting problems with SSL, server
settings, port settings, and all sorts of things. She then told me that she had
only just recently installed the Symantec (Nortons) stuff, and some of the
error messages were indeed coming from Symantec software.
<snip>

From an ISP helldesk point of view, anything made by Norton since 2002 is the biggest source of email and browsing issues that I have seen in a long time. Every few weeks, it updates itself and manages to break a decent number of pc's.

It makes a grunty machine run like a 386 and trying to uninstall it sometimes ends up causing more issues than when it was installed.

In my opinion, Windows XP and PC hardware is pretty rock solid these days, and it only seems to be 3rd party software that causes nightmares. Whether this is the software maker's fault, or Microsoft's, I will never know.

</rant about norton>

--
Regards

Trevor Lee