>On 14/02/2005, at 9:10 AM, Peter Hinchliffe wrote:
>
>> This is a very minor problem, but a slight nuisance nonetheless.
>Ever
>> since updating to 10.3.8 (using the combo updater after checking
>> permissions) I find that the Software Update button in "About This
>> Mac" is permanently greyed out and inactive. Likewise, the "Sofware
>
>> Update..." option under the Apple Menu, although not grey, does
>> nothing. Thankfully I can still use Software Update from System
>> Preferences, and it still launches on schedule, otherwise I would
>> upgrade it from minor nuisance to major problem.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this?
>>
>No, no such problem for me, Peter. I also used the combo updater but
>didn't check permissions until afterwards.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike Fuller

No news here either after a fresh Panther install and a full Software
Update.

Safari seems nice and quick after the above actions, I haven't
reinstalled Firefox to compare, but it is *definitely* quicker at
heavy sites.

Could Safari have grown bogged-down over 12 months despite updates?
Could the cache etc have grown large and unwieldy?

I didn't see anything mentioned about Safari in the 10.3.8 Update.

<soapbox>
I often find the fastest OS is the freshest one.
I am usually not too excited about Backup/Recovery tools that
encourage the user to backup entire installations in a grab-all
strategy.

Important to me is knowing which files need backing up and which
require re-installation for best results.
This allows me to decide on and plan recoveries easily, usually
resulting in quite simple solutions.

If available, I restore from a backed-up fresh installation, which
saves a little time, otherwise simply install THEN customise.
I don't feel the compulsion to customise OSX greatly, so there isn't
tonnes to do after a fresh install anyway, aside from applications
that is.
Some applications can be included into the 'fresh' OS if it does
indeed save time.
Much software is dynamic and being updated regularly anyway, so new
copies will be most likely be best. We have broadband which makes a
difference here.

A well planned fresh start beats un-tested recoveries any day.
It requires less trust in things you cannot control too, my favourite
;)
</soapbox>

Cheers

Paul