I was under the impression that one of the features of Panther was that it defragmented hard disks in the background. Maybe this is a misapprehension. I have a 20GB boot drive with about 7.5GB of free space and today ran Disk Warrior as I do on a regular basis. At the end it suggested that I do not replace the directory as there was not the 83MB of contiguous space available. A check with Norton Speed Disk revealed that this was indeed the case and the disk was "seriously" fragmented. Speed Disk did the trick (9.2 version of System Works) and the Disk Warrior was happy.
Comments on this please!
Also wondering about other defragmentation programs as I am wary of Nortons though Speed Disk has never given any problem. I see iDefrag on Version Tracker. Anyone had experience of this. Obviously needs to be VERY reliable!
Thanks for comments
Severin Crisp

Panther uses 'hot file clustering' on the boot drive, moving files that are frequently used closer together on disk to reduce access time.

It also defragments files < 20Mb in size on journaled HFS+ disks when they are opened (either for reading or writing).

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  The love of liberty is the love