My mum still runs an old LC 575. She was running out of space (only had
500MB Drive) so I added a SCSI Zip drive I had lying around and moved her
3rd party apps to zip disks. By clearing this space similarly you should
have plenty of room for upgrading to OS 8 on your built in hard disk. A SCSI
Zip Disk with a few 100MB disks thrown in on eBay should be no more than
$20.

Greg Sharp