Good Morning,

Terminating a SCSI chain is known to be a requirement     BUT
understanding the type of termination needed is another story .

This link explaining the actions of a particular multimode Terminator throws
up all sorts of questions !

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11160&item=5127892020>

Can anybody direct me to a description that would provide a better understanding in laymans terms
of the various types of Terminators ,  please ?

Basically like most buses it's limited by the lowest common denominator (ie the slowest/oldest device you've got attached).

Try the wikipedia (a free, on-line encyclopedia)

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI>

At high enough switching (ie data) rates, wires (ie SCSI cables) behave like transmission lines. Such lines need to be terminated correctly to prevent signals being reflected from the end of the line, resulting in interference and loss of data signal amongst the resultant noise. Transmission line theory took me about a semester to understand :)

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper in the