keep them cool keep them charged keep them a long time something for iPod users

doing a bit of research for a question asked on another list I came across this page (and others) that listed information about Lithium Ion (Li-ion) battery life span
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

Most of us may be aware that Li-ion batteries have a limited life span and limited charge btu probably like me didn't know that this was temperature and storage volt dependant so by the looks of it if you endevor to keep your iPod at least 40% charges and kept below 25 deg C then you could feasably get up to 10 years life out of the battery so long as you don't cycle it beyond it's maximum cycle life of around 300 charges.

so keep your iPod out of your pocket don't charge it in its neoprene or leather or fauxfur or what ever protector you have and keep it away from direct light/heat and use that 10 or so minutes of checking e-mail as a chance to top up the iPods charge.

I've been told that there is no point buying spare iPod (or other Li-ion like iBook/PowerBook) batteries because of the 3 to 4 year life from date of manufacture (rather than from date of first useage). But it looks like if you charge one of these to at least 40% charge then store it a around 0 deg C (one guesses in something like a sealed case like a micro Pelican case) they only loose around 2 to 4 % per year meaning you could store them for 5 to 10 years and still have a quite reasonably functional battery for your, by then, antique iPod or PowerBook.

--
~
Mark Secker Computer Support Officer

<http://ecel-mark.ecel.uwa.edu.au/~marksecker/index.htm> (sometimes works)