most of the 5 & 6 non prosumer cameras are around that price I can recommend the higher end canon Powershots "A series" my self as a great little units big enough to hold comfortably without getting intimidating like an SLR or a Powershot Pro

the following shots were taken on a 5Mp PowerShot A80 and are reduced down to a quarter of the resolution (half the dimensions)

http://ecel-mark.ecel.uwa.edu.au/~marksecker/images/JapanLarge/JapanLarge.html

some of the best... of course there were fudged photos to but.....

the fill flash (slow shutter with flash) - this was taken at about 8:00 at night
http://ecel-mark.ecel.uwa.edu.au/~marksecker/images/JapanLarge/JapanLarge-Pages/Image26.html

for difficult artificial light with no flash high ISO to freeze the scene (this was with the 1.7x telephoto converter and just a touch of digital zoom and taken from about 100 meters - remember the original is 2272x1704)
http://ecel-mark.ecel.uwa.edu.au/~marksecker/images/JapanLarge/JapanLarge-Pages/Image35.html

the original full sized picture of the above
http://ecel-mark.ecel.uwa.edu.au/~marksecker/images/JapanLarge/IMG_2609.JPG

doing the opposite on purpose - higher ISO no flash  blur scene
http://ecel-mark.ecel.uwa.edu.au/~marksecker/images/JapanLarge/JapanLarge-Pages/Image135.html

macro  from about 15 cm
http://ecel-mark.ecel.uwa.edu.au/~marksecker/images/JapanLarge/JapanLarge-Pages/Image58.html