On 26/03/2005, at 9:19 AM, Antony N. Lord wrote:

Dual 2GHz G5 10.3.8

My G5 seems to behave very odd at startup - it boots, loads and the desktop pictures appear.

I then get the "pizza wheel of death" for a considerable period of time (2-3 minutes +) before all the icons appear and I can get down to business.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Cheers, Antony.

My 1.25DP G4 MDD is doing the same thing lately too. Sometimes its good, sometimes I even get a lag on the login in screen. I've tried using YASU or Cocktail to completely clean the system. It may work for you. There may be a dodgy system cache causing problems when the Finder loads (or it may actually be a Finder problem). Do you have another user on your system? If not, create one and see if that user has the same boot up problems. If they don't, then it may be a dodgy Finder preference or a cache problem.

Seeya

Rod!