On 18 Apr 2005, at 9:42 AM, Jude wrote:

It also relies on Quicktime 7 (for h.264), which I am sure will be released concurrently with 10.4.

There is some noise being made at the moment about the fact that Quicktime 6 pro users will have to buy a new licence for Quicktime 7 Pro if they upgrade to Tiger. Second hand from macfixit :

Not much different from upgrading from QT 5 to QT 6

Yep - and I'm happy to pay, but what people were complaining about was that they didn't realise that installing Tiger would mean that they have to upgrade their Quicktime Pro. Tiger 'breaks' Quicktime Pro 6.

Yes it will, because Tiger is built with/around QT 7 for most of the things that make OS X so special. Yes if you do utilise Pro you will have to upgrade as with most commercial software when it does a major revision hence major number change.

Most whom use Pro will gain some remorse by upgrading other bits which supply Pro license as part of its upgrade??

From what I have seen and been able to play with, the advantages of a $70 plugin which is a major part of the OS X I am using is money well spent. Go purchase XP and try to play a DVD, cant. One must go buy a program that will, then Windows Media Player will play DvD's, how much is said program, mmm a lot more than the plugin for QT and XP is a lot more than Tiger. QT pro also does a lot more than said program and some would even say does a lot more than XP.

Last point, most people whom I know who use Apple hardware and software are in a professional environment, hence they have direct income involved in said machine so it becomes a taxable item a deduction. So, I treat these upgrades purchases as a way of paying your tax bill for that year or those to come with some extra layouts.

I'm not positive this is true, its just something I've been reading on FCP boards. Like Rod says, it's likely to be bundled with FCP 5, but if you aren't buying FCP then you might want to check into this if you use Quicktime Pro.

Cheers!
Rob Davies
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is the world which makes known to us our belonging to a subject-communtiy, especially the existence in the world of the manufactured objects." Sartre.