On 29/04/2005, at 2:31 PM, Robert Howells wrote:

APPLE'S new version 10.4 of its Mac OS X operating system, known as Tiger, will be available from 6pm on Friday and distributed on DVD discs rather than CD-ROMs.

In Australia it will cost $199, $30 less than Apple has been charging for the 10.3 version or Panther.

<snip>

This is an unnecessarily complicated, expensive and time-consuming procedure.

And a great reason to make sure that you are running Tiger on a Mac that can actually take advantage of it. If you haven't got hold of a dvd drive yet, then you also miss out on most games that are available today, plus a lot of content that will be coming out in the future.

Apple could simply give all buyers their choice of DVD or CD discs at the same price.

And while they are at it, provide single language CDs again for different regions. Let's think of more ways we can bump up the price! :-)

Other requirements for running Tiger include at least 256MB of random access memory, at least 3GB of available hard drive space and, for so far unexplained reasons, a built-in FireWire connection.

Umm, to make sure that sub-rate Macs can't load Tiger. From all the cool things I saw Tiger do last night at the Apple resellers demo, tray load iMacs, most clamshell iBooks, and any other machines still running a 4 or 8 meg ATI chipset will not run any of the cool stuff. Its like running OS 9 on pre G3 machines - you can do it, but the experience sucks :-) Apple are in the business to create the best possible computing experience through hardware and software. If it means leaving 6 year old machines behind, then good on them.

I hate it when people write trite articles like this one from IT News. No doubt the luddite wrote it on his Apple II Plus, still bitter at Apple when they moved from DOS 3.3 to ProDOS ;-)

Seeya

Rod!