Keith

I see you've had some good suggestions so far.  Martin's email on the PVR or
DVR was great - I want one those but preferably a Tivo.

However, if you're just in the market for the digital STB and are worried
about firmware upgrades, you can spend a little more and opt for a model
with the ability to upgrade "through the air".  When I was looking around
over a year ago Panasonic had one available - I didn't do much investigation
but it sounds like a solution.  Not sure how it works though.

Generally I highly recommend the digital boxes to anyone.  Digital TV has to
be the most undersold innovation in the past 50 years.  The picture quality
is sensational as is the sound.  Most networks have dedicated guide channels
and access to limited electronic program guides.  I live in Freo in the lee
of the hill and our reception was atrocious.  Ships going in and out of the
harbour affected the picture badly and we had ghosting and snow on all
channels - SBS was next to useless.  With the STB reception is perfect on
all channels - the best $220 I ever spent although you can buy them for
under $140 now.  Even my luddite dad bought one after seeing mine.

Now I just need the widescreen TV to take advantage of the widescreen
feature so I can stop using the letter box mode.

Cheers

Greg