PNG is more widely supported now. Internet Explorer and Firefox can open PNG files (but IE can't display transparency for PNG). It should generate smaller file sizes than PDF. And also you don't need Acrobat Reader, which probably will load faster in your client's machine.

Apple chose PNG over JPG or PDF, probably because it is a better graphics format, smaller than PDF (file size) and is compatible with any graphics viewer (including browsers).

Steven