I installed the "Capture" widget (which I think Daniel recommended) to allow you to change the file type for screen captures. I find that it appends the appropriate extension .pdf or .jpg or whatever to the capture files but does change the files themselves from .png and they still have to be opened with Preview (or Photoshop) before saving in another format.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Severin Crisp

                    Assoc Professor R Severin Crisp, FIP, CPhys, FAIP
       15 Thomas St, Mount Clarence, Albany, 6330, Western Australia.
                      Phone  (08) 9842 1950   (Int'l +61 8 9842 1950)
                             email  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                Web pages http://www.JennyCrisp.com.au
              &  http://members.westnet.com.au/Crisp