I used to get kernel panics on shutdown when I had some crosslinked files on
my drive. Restart in single user mode and run fsck. Probably can't fix it
(if it is crosslinked files) but will tell you if there's directory
structure  or other file system problems. Disk Warrior can fix crosslinked
files but don't use anything except the latest version on Tiger.
Rob