Lisa,

Always place your fonts in ~username/Library/Fonts.
Tampering with the fonts in the system directory is
asking for trouble.

you probably shouldn't use that many fonts with
Fontbook alone - it is more or less intended for home
users, not graphics pros. It may be time to think
about investing in a commercial font managament
utility:
<http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?os=Mac+OS+X&keywords=font+management&button.x=16&button.y=14>

Hope this helps.

Dirk