On 03/06/2005, at 6:02 PM, tom samson wrote:

As an English teacher I want to write phonetic language and word sounds in )fficw 2004. Has anyone tried to do thesi simply?
tom samson

Let Character Palette be your friend (you must be running at least Jaguar, and preferably Panther or Tiger for this. If you're not, it's the perfect excuse to upgrade).

First, turn on Character Palette (System Preferences > International > Input Menu) and check Character Palette. In Panther or Tiger, you can also select "Special Characters..." from the Edit menu of any Cocoa application. After you have activated Character Palette, you can choose it from the International Menu (the little flag in the Menu Bar).

In Character Paletter, first make sure that the View Popup Menu at the to of the window is set to "All Characters", then click the disclosure triangle next to "Symbols" in the list in the left-hand part of the window. You will now see "Phonetic Symbols" in the list, and the characters themselves in the right-hand side.

Click the disclosure triangles next to "Character Info" and "Font Variation" to view their contents. As you click on each character in the main part of the window, it is displayed more clearly in "Character Info", and the fonts which contain it are shown in "Font Variation".

I hope this explanation is clear enough. Character Palette is straightforward enough for you to be able to pick your way through it, I think.

This is one of those wonderful areas of MacOS X that can make a Windows user's jaw drop (providing, of course, they can see the point of it).

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913