In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 01:30:48PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > For Photoshop CS and Office 2004 - pretty good. I don't see anything
> > in that list that precludes them working. As for netboot - nfi.
> Some more info:
> http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/systemreqs.html says:
> Macintosh
>       * PowerPC?? G3, G4, or G5 processor

So, you're saying that since it works with G3, it'll work correctly
with Rosetta and it will be good enough? Fair enough, I guess it's a
good criterion for the time being, as long as there is no confusion
about endianism assumptions. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem,
wouldn't you? But here's a counterexample:

Once upon a time, I ran into a real brainteaser. Windows machines would
hang or crash when dealing with certain data streams, whereas Mac and
Linux clients had no trouble. It turned out to be a problem with the
data streams...but why no trouble with Mac OS and Linux? Well, it turned
out to be a linefeed problem! The default linefeed format should have
been DOS format, so Windows apps started off with the assumption that no
kind of verification or conversion was needed. In contrast, every Mac
and Linux app assumed that conversion *was* required. Hence, when the
wrong linefeeds were presented, the Mac and Linux programmes managed (by
luck, in a sense) to "work it out" whereas Windows apps choked utterly.
The "goodness" or "badness" or programmes' behaviour was unrelated to
the vendor or version -- it split platform-wise every time.