Hi...

With all this discussion of IP telephony, I thought I'd suggest that if you're installing an IP phone (ie something that looks like a normal phone handset) beware that some of the IP services do not handle emergency call numbers such as 000 correctly, nor provide location information to emergency services. This has already resulted in lawsuits and deaths in the US.

You may think you'd never use the IP phone to try to call emergency, but you may not be the person making the call.

Also, unless you've got a UPS, your IP phone won't work in a blackout. In fact your ISP may not even have uninterruptable power at the exchange or their office, in which case it won't matter if you've got a UPS at home. :)

Have fun
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper in the