On 06/07/2005, at 9:56 AM, Yvonne Harrison wrote:

Hi everyone

I am hoping that a technically minded person might be able to point me in the right direction.

I am attempting to connect my PowerMac to a NetComm Ethernet ADSL Modem Router. I already have achieved this with my trusty PowerBook running OS X.3 so I know the router is okay.

The PowerMac I am trying to connect via ethernet was okay when I was using a dial-up connection but I want to use it on ADSL as a standby machine. I can't afford to update this old banger but it has 80Mb memory. Even though it may be slow, I'm quite happy with that! The rest of the story follows.......

I have a PowerMac 5500/225  running Mac OS 8.1.

Is there a specific reason why you are running 8.1
This Mac is supposed to be able to handle 9.1
which is a much better OS to deal with

Bob

The machine now has a PCI ethernet card installed, Realtek 8139 chipset.

I have updated Apple System Profiler to version 2.1.2 and can now see the PCI device in the Volumes and Devices listing.

The Realtek site supplied the driver for the Realtek 8139 chipset but I'm thinking the driver is not compatible with MacOS 8.1.

I cannot find the card listed in Appletalk and TCP/IP. Current versions of these are Appletalk 1.1 (though the listing in the Appletalk Info dialogue box suggests Appletalk 1.3 and the Appletalk Driver 60.2 together with Open Transport 1.3). TCP/IP version 1.3.1.

I have attempted to follow the directions given with the card but to no avail.

Could anyone suggest other extensions/drivers that I may need to update in order to find the following happening:

1. In the control panels Appletalk dropdown list - a slot where the ethernet adapter is listed.
At present I still see only Printer Port and Modem Port.

2. In the Control panels TCP/IP dropdown list box showing available connections again a slot where the ethernet adapter is listed.
At present I see only PPP and AppleTalk (MacIP).

Your help and advice would be gratefully received.
Regards
Yvonne Harrison