Craig,

If your battery and backup battery is "dead' you may have to reset the power
manger by removing the backup battery first.

Try these steps:
1. remover the main battery
2. lift off the keyboard (bronze keyboard)
3. remove the cable from the backup battery on the motherboard. The cable is
slightly to the right of the centre, and from memory it's white, red, black
(I think)
4. let the system sit for about 10-15min
5. reset the power manager
6. connect the backup battery
7. connect main power adapter
8. power on the Powerbook, and with a bit of luck you could be back on up
again.

Cheers,
Peder