This is a quote from someone on Slashdot who goes by the name of 'curmi' who I am guessing is Jamie Curmi (author of Launch!).

<quote>

Bigger news is that there are no Sony songs on iTMS Japan!

The story is that this is the current hold up in Australia. Sony/BGM in Australia won't allow iTMS Australia to use their songs unless Apple agrees to sell the songs in Apple's Fairplay AAC, Microsoft's Windows Media format, and Sony's own ATRAC format.

It looks like Apple Japan just went ahead without Sony on board. If only they would do that in Australia...maybe Sony BGM is just too big a monopoly in Australia to be able to do this?

</quote>

It certainly makes sense for Sony to be the hold up. They are still smarting from the iPod, and I doubt they would want to give Apple a foothold in any more areas if they can help it. At any rate, Apple should jsut go ahead without Sony. I certainly wouldn't miss any of their music.

Perhaps this is something the ACCC should be involved in...

- Matt