I had a workaround which worked under OSX 10.1 which involved connecting under classic and keeping classic running - however this ceased to work when
I updated to 10.2.

I then found that for the powerbook I could connect using TCP/IP (set TCP/IP
to connect via ethernet) rather than appletalk however OS 7.6 wouldn't
support that approach.

I don't know where OS 8.6 sits here (other more knowledgeable mind may be able to help) - but if it supports networking over TCP/IP that may do it for
you.

i have 8.6, 9.2, 10.2.8 and 10.3.9 all networked together via ethernet so it should work ok...... are you using a hub?

Yvonne